Spring time is one of the best seasons to give your roof a checkup. We have talked about having a professional roofer, such as MCAS Roofing & Contracting Inc come to give a professional review of your roof to make sure there are no roofing problems that will become bigger. MCAS Roofing now also offers an Exclusive Maintenance Program for our customers that includes semi-annual roof inspections (if you're not already a member ask us for more details). But for those of you that are do-it yourselfers, here are some tips.
1) Look around your yard for any shingles. Shingles on the ground mean there is a bigger problem on your roof. The heavy winter winds can tear off shingles that will expose the underlying roofing materials to the elements. This is something that you quickly need repaired.
2) Make sure your gutters are clean. Clean gutters will permit proper flow of water. The last thing you want is water backing up under your roofing material. This can cause dry rot, mold, fungus, and leaking.
3) Give a once over to your top floor ceilings. Any cracking of the paint can mean there are leaks in your roof. Once they have started to show on your ceilings you can bet there are much worse problems up above.
4) Smell the air in your attic. A damp, musty smell can also mean there is a leak causing growth of mold and fungus. Not only is this harmful to your roofing and structure of your home, but the air quality is extremely poor to breath.
5) Visually inspect your roof. This is the best way to catch any problems before they become worse. What you might not see on the ground could be more visible while walking on the roof, but make sure you are comfortable and work safely (if not call in a professional roofer for this part). Look at the roofing materials for any damage, the gutters for any gaps in the piping, and the flashing to ensure it is not breaking down.
If you are not a person that feels comfortable on a latter, much of this inspection can be done using a set of binoculars. Look around your roof for missing shingles, mold or fungus spots, or degrading roof flashing.
These are some parts of a roof inspection that a typical homeowner can take on themselves and notice any problems. But remember, the quicker you catch an issue with your roofing, the cheaper it will be to fix. Only a professional roofer will be able to notice all signs that there is something that needs attention. Contact MCAS Roofing & Contracting today for your Spring roof inspection.