MCAS Roofing & Contracting Inc is now much more than just roofing contractors. We now have experienced painters and handymen on staff to help both residential and commercial owners with all their interior projects. Winter is the perfect time to tackle the inside of your home. While MCAS Roofing does do roofing work throughout the winter, many people would prefer to have their roofing replaced during the warmer months. Therefore, the majority of roofing jobs this time of year are repairs, removal of ice damming, and cleaning of gutters. For many owners, they just don't want their roofing replaced during the winter. But remember, if you do, MCAS Roofing does do all roofing work year round. Actually, many of our staff would rather work during the cold months than the winter months. But for those that would rather keep the exterior roofing work for the spring, here are the top ten projects that can improve the look and function of your residential or commercial building for minimal costs.
1. Change the Paint. Paint is one of the fastest and easiest ways to give your residence or business a complete different look. Painting can be a big job, but with our painters on staff we can be in and out in a few days. We can paint a room for you, paint the whole house, or paint your furniture to get that new look at a low cost. Schedule a meeting with our interior designers to find the perfect look for you.
2. Install New Lighting. New lighting or lighting fixtures can give a room a whole new look. Fixtures themselves, depending on the style, can be expensive. However, there is a wide range of prices and you can undoubtedly find something that is within your range. You can even get creative with your existing fixtures to give them a whole new custom look. Need some ideas, ASK MCAS?
3. Increase Natural Light. Natural lighting is something many people look for when purchasing a home. A skylight is the quickest way to change a dark, out of date room into a bright uplifting place to be in your home. A skylight is quick to install, and can be easily done even in the winter months for a very affordable price.
4. Install Insulation. Adding insulation to your residential or commercial real estate will not only help to decrease the heating bill, but it will improve the overall feel of the place. Insulation in your attic is fast to put in and as we have discussed before, it will improve the life of your roofing. You can also install insulation in the walls without doing any damage. Not sure how? ASK MCAS.
5. Work on the Flooring. Have an old carpet you can't stand looking at? Tiles with grout that is so dirty you forget what it used to look like? Winter is the perfect time to work on your flooring. Pull out those old carpets, put in some nice fresh tiles, some beautiful hardwood flooring, or some very sturdy and cost effective laminate flooring.
6. Insulate Your Hot Water Heater. Insulating or even replacing your hot water heater is a great way to save energy, help the environment, and lower your heating bill. Your hot water heater is constantly at work. Wrapping it in insulation will help keep the ideal temperature (around 120 degrees). You can also consider replacing the hot water heater if its useful life is approaching expiration and installing an energy efficient one. While these are a little more expensive, they will save you a bundle in the longer run.
7. Get Organized. Getting rid of clutter will vastly improve the look of any space. Without clutter, the space will feel much more open. MCAS Roofing & Contracting can have our designers help you plan out your space to maximize its potential. Our builders can then fabricate and install closet organizers, bookshelves, cubbies, storage benches, shelving, cabinets, and more.
These projects will not only keep you busy for the winter, but will get you excited for spring cleaning! There is nothing like showing off a fresh and clean home or business. These simple projects will help improve the look and comfort of your real estate. Some of you can take these on yourselves, while others may need some help. If you have any questions, need any help, or want some advice, remember to ASK MCAS! Regardless of your needs, we can help you find the answer. If we do not have employees on staff with the expertise to tackle your project, then we have friends in the business to refer you to. Contact MCAS Roofing & Contracting today for winter project ideas.
When installing any type of roof, there are going to be seems from where pieces come together. This includes at the chimney, around vents, in the valleys, around skylights, and along the eves. Flashing is what protects your roofing at these vulnerable points and stops water from seeping in and causing water damage, mold, fungus, and leaks.
Because flashing is your roof's first line of defense against water, it is imperative that your flashing is perfect because water will always find its way in. Throughout the years flashing has been made from a variety of materials ranging from plastic, to rubber, and everything in between. But these types of flashing are not optimal. They crack easily and will then let water in. The best and only material you should be using is a rust resistant metal such as copper or aluminum. These types of metals won't crack and won't rust, offering your roofing the best possible seal and protection from water.
Many roofers will use a roofing cement to seal old flashing that is no longer protecting your roofing. However, this could not be more wrong. Roofing cement is a temporary fix and will ultimately lead to water damage. To properly seal your roof, old flashing that is leaking should be removed and replaced with copper or aluminum flashing.
Now that you know how important flashing is, you need to take the steps to make sure your flashing is protecting your roofing as good as it should be. Flashing is not expensive and when done correctly can help your roofing last longer. If you have had sub-par flashing repairs with roofing cement, or have plastic or rubber flashing, contact a professional roofer today. Even if there are no noticeable signs, there could be minor problems that will lead to bigger issues down the line. A few dollars spent today can save you thousands in the future. ASK MCAS today for a free estimate on flashing installation, replacement, or repair.
Michael Casolaro is president and owner of MCAS Roofing & Contracting, Inc. He is a licensed and insured roofing contractor with many useful roofing tips to provide to customers in the Westchester and Putnam, NY area.