With proper maintenance a roof can last anywhere from 15 years to a lifetime depending on the type of roofing material and the climate. The key to longevity is proper maintenance and upkeep.
There are a whole list of things that need to be done to a roof. Especially up here in Westchester NY where we have drastic changes in temperature and face a vast variety of elements, proper upkeep is key. Here are the top five things you can do to make your roof last.
1) Clean Your Gutters: Clean gutters allow the proper flow of water. Gutters ensure the water has a place to go. If the gutters are clogged, water will backup causing flooding in the warmer months and ice damming in the winter.
2) Roof Inspections: A semi-annual roof inspection, when done by a professional roofer will spot any small problem signs before they turn into costly disasters. The trained eye of a professional roofer will be able to notice much more than the average person.
3) Roof Cleanings: Your roof should be cleaned every so often. The exact time frame varies depending on how well your roof is ventilated, if your roof is exposed to sap or other harmful materials, and the type of roofing material. On average your roof should be cleaned every 1-3 years.
4) Spot Check Your Roof: While roof inspections only need to be done by a professional twice a year, we still recommend looking over your own roof at least once a season, and especially after heavy wind or rain. This does NOT require a ladder or climbing on your roof. Use a pair of binoculars. You can see almost all from the ground. Look for missing shingles, bent or rusted flashing, or stains/mildew/mold.
5) Trim Back Branches: Overhanging branches and dying trees are a big hazard to your roof. The branches can cause minor damage to shingles, but a tree can cause much more extensive damage to your home. Consider having old trees removed or trimmed back to reduce your exposure.
Members of the MCAS Exclusive Maintenance Program already have most of this covered. With FREE semi-annual roof inspections and gutter cleanings; and 10% OFF Roof Cleanings and Repairs, our members are on their way to a roof that lasts a lifetime. For more information on how you can join, give us a call today!