As we all tighten our financial belts during tough economic times, many are looking for cost effective ways to give our homes a makeover. These five easy to do projects will give your home a brand new look for a reasonable price.
1. Revitalize Your Deck: With the beautiful weather to come this summer many of us are looking forward to spending time outdoors. For many this means barbeques on the deck. After the harsh winter we have had, your deck will definitely need some attention. Start by replacing any loose or rotting wood on the floor and railing. Next, sand it down to remove any flaking paint or rough areas. Then, give your deck a fresh coat of paint or stain. Finish it off with a few potted plants to give it that wonderful spring look!
2. Clean and Paint Your Siding: If your siding is on the older side, a fresh coat of paint can really do the trick. Many types of siding can be painted including aluminum, vinyl, and wood. Before painting, you want to make sure you have a clean surface so rent a power washer which will do the trick. Then you are ready to put a nice fresh coat of paint. MCAS Roofing does offer exterior painting if this is not a job you can take on yourself.
3. Plant a Garden: A garden is a wonderful and attractive addition to any home. Many landscapers offer consulting services to help you choose a design that fits your home, and plants and flowers that will do well depending on your climate, exposure to sun, soil, and degree of maintenance you are wiling to put in. When planning a garden, it is important to consider how big the plants, bushes, and trees will grow. It is also imperative to remember all gardens require maintenance, so don't plan too big of a garden if you do not have the time to do the work.
4. Touch Up Your Windows and Doors: Replacing windows and doors on your home can be expensive, but giving them a face lift can be just as affective. Take out the screens and replace any ones that are damaged. Depending on the degree of damage, some can be repaired while others will need replacement. Replace any damaged or rotting wood trim around the doors or windows and then give the trim a fresh coat of paint or stain. Finally, repaint your front door. Make sure it is a color that goes well with the color of your roof and siding. This is a simple DIY project for many homeowners, but if it is a little more than you can handle on your own, ASK MCAS for their expertise.
5. Build a Walkway: A walkway leading up to the front entrance of your home, through the garden, or leading up to a deck or patio can be very inviting to your guests and will look great. There are a variety of options for installing a walkway including paver stones, slate, cobblestone, sandstone, granite, concrete, and many more. Your local Home Depot, Lowes, or garden supply store should have some great options. Plan out the path and then install Item 4, Sand, or Stone Dust as a bottom layer which will prevent the stones from sinking. Then if the material you are using is irregular and varies in shape, plan out the design before laying them permanetly.
Now that the warm weather is here we are all looking for simple and easy to do projects around our houses that will give them a new look without breaking the bank. For more ideas, or for help with any of your projects from roofing, to painting, and anything in between, Contact MCAS Roofing & Contracting Inc today.