Understanding how to choose a contractor can help you to protect yourself and limit your risk. Ensuring the job is done correctly by a licensed and insured professional is key to having a stress free experience when renovating. Follow these easy tips to help you choose the correct person for the job.
1) Talk to Your Friends: Word of mouth is the best reference. Talk to your friends and relatives about past contractors they have used in the area. If you don't know anyone that has had work done, maybe knock on some of your neighbor's doors. If you recently saw them having work done on their roof or other things done on their property, they will be a good starting point.
2) Review Angie's List: Angie's list is a great point of reference to start looking for a contractor. Unlike other review sites, you need a membership to use the site and they screen all of the reviews people post. This makes it much more likely that the reviews will be accurate. Look for contractors with an A rating. The fee for membership is nominal and you can even cancel after a month. It is worth the small investment to read accurate contractor reviews.
3) Ask to See a Copy of a Contractor's License and Insurance: The most important thing when hiring a contractor is to make sure they are licensed to work in your area and have liability insurance. Ask to see a copy of their license or check their license number. If you go to your local County or Town Hall they will be able to point you in the right direction. Also verify that they have an active insurance policy and workman's compensation to avoid any liability for yourself if someone is hurt.
4) Ensure they Have the Correct Permitting: Many types of residential or commercial improvement require a permit from the town or county to do the work. Call your local Building and Planning department, ask what the guidelines are for the type of work you will be having done. Ask any potential contractor how they plan to approach and ensure they are aware of what is required by the town.
5) Find Out What Materials they Will Be Using: You want to ensure that the contractor is using good building mateials. Ask them what brands they generally work with and do a little research online to see what people have to say about them. For example, to check out the materials your roofing contractor might use check out roofing forums such as roofingtalk.com. You can post questions and professionals will be more than willing to answer them for you.
By following this quick and simple advice and educating yourself before hiring a contractor you can help to limit any problems you might have. Every contractor will tell you they are the best, but you want to see that they are responsible professionals before giving them a contract to work on your home or commercial building.
If you live in Westchester NY or the surrounding area MCAS Roofing & Contracting feels we are right for any roofing job you might have. But, we are willing to show you. Ask us all of these questions, we will work with you through the process to ensure your job is done right. Check out our reviews on Angie's List and ask to see photos of our past work.
For an estimate or with any questions about hiring a contractor, Contact MCAS Roofing & Contracting Inc today!